Did You Know: Facts About Recycling Paper
Did you know that Texans spend over $1 billion annually for solid waste disposal services for over 22 million tons of garbage? What’s even more astonishing is that a large portion of that garbage is recyclable.
At RedFish Recycling, we’re looking for new ways to make it easier for everyone in Brownsville to recycle. Although we are doing the best we can, some of the weight is still on the consumer’s end. We know that you are bombarded with pleas to recycle, but here are a few facts about recycling paper that may help motivate you to recycle.
- One year’s worth of the New York Times weighs 520 pounds
- Every day, U.S. businesses generate enough paper to encircle the Earth 20 times
- Every ton of paper recycled saves about 17 trees
- Using old paper to make new paper uses 30 to 50 percent less energy than making paper from trees
- Pollution is also reduced by 95 percent when used paper is made into new sheets
- 40 percent of all waste going to landfills is paper. Cutting down on paper waste will extend the lives of our landfills
- Newspaper can be recycled into egg cartons, game boards, new newspaper, gift boxes, animal bedding, insulation and packaging material
These facts only include paper; imagine what these statistics would look like if we added plastics, metals and other recyclable material. Let’s all work together to help Texas cut down on the cost of waste disposal services and reduce pollution. Contact RedFish Recycling today to see how our services can help you.